I did it! I tried Bakerella's cupcake lollipops and they turned out a little sloppy but delicious.
I'm sure with practice they'll look much better. And yes, be warned . . . they do take time. Here's a pic of how they look.
A few things I learned:
• Let the cake and frosting mixture sit in the fridge overnight. The flavors blend much better.
• Next time I will use the extra long lollipop sticks. That way they'll sit in a glass or mug easier.
• Don't use floral styrofoam, it gets everywhere. Stick with the white crafting kind.
• Don't add the whole container of frosting at once, cake is already pretty moist, so start out with half as much and see what kind of consistency you get. My mixture was too sticky and so didn't come out of the cookie cutter very well.
• Make sure the chocolate is very hot. It needs to be pretty runny or else it is very sticky and hard to pull the cupcake out of when you are dipping.